Movie Review - The Hobbit

Again Peter Jackson takes us back to Middle-Earth for another timeless tale of dwarfs, elfs, orcs, goblins and the most unlikely of creatures!
Hello my fellow friends,

Time for another adventure into the realm of goblins, trolls, orcs, dwarfs, elfs and the most unlikely of creatures... I give you THE HOBBIT!

I must warn you that I am a big fan of the Tolkien universe. As such this review will be full of spoilers and other stuff some of you (uncommon to the land of middle-earth) might not realize or understand about in this text.

First, let's start with the good stuff.

If you see this movie - wich you will if u have any sense of dignity towards movies - is it imperative that you watch the 3D HDR 48 frames version of it. Why you ask? Let's say that after Avatar (wich I think was not a mandatory movie to watch in 3D) this is the new benchmark of movie technology as  an experience. The movie get's a new, more define, more fluid and more colorful look and (this time) the 3D works best. Like a perfect cristal clear vision of the movie itself.

Further more, The Hobbit has more action and more speed than in the book wich is understandable since it's a almost 3 hour long movie, and you'll see the Bilbo, dwarfs and Gandalf crew in a series of gag's, fights, twists and spins that will make your eyes water with multiple nerdgasms - I kid you not!

Now for the not so good but still pretty darn awesome stuff... The movie is tooooooo long!

When I say too long, I don't mean that there isn't enough of the Tolkien universe to go around, but i feel that after the "One book - One movie" formula set on the first trilogy, there was no need to make this into a tree part movie. Better to keep it in one and then take the time to make The Silmarilion like that! (Wich they will eventually). 

What happen was that (like on the first LOR) Peter Jackson took some "liberties" with the book adaptation and although I don't have any problems with that when it comes to the action parts, like in the book they might say "the orcs and dwarfs fight" and it becomes a 20 minute fight sequence in the movie, I do have some trouble with that in the sense of story telling. Case in point the too much screen time of Radagast.

The fact that a much bigger character was cut out of LOR - Tombombadil to be precise - and now the Brow Wizard (that is only but mentioned in the book) gets a full story and action sequence didn't quite worked for me I must say. That and the fact that they created a new "villain" in the movie that doesn't even die at the end. SPOILER

But all in all I'm kinda nitpicking! I'be been a fan of Tolkien since I first read The Hobbit and I already knew that Peter was gonna do a great job with the adaptation just like he did before. 

So, go see it! Go and love it! And take a trip back to Middle-Earth... You will not be short of amazed!


A most dwarfish 5 out of 5!

Comments

Popular Posts