Beta Review - Battleborn

This game has everything to be the new PS4 hit... sadly it's filled with too much stuff that takes the fun out of it!
Here we go!

I must confess I didn't know much about this game before playing it and I'm sure Gearbox knew about that, that's why they made a 10 day beta test on PS4 just for it. I played it and well... Here's my opinion on it. Too much clutter and not enough fun!

You start the game with a half a dozen characters and you have other to unlock either by upgrade or by completing specific tasks in the game. You have you're story mode where you can choose from two missions (Beta test - the real game has more) and versus mode where you could play team versus. Both of these I found difficult to get into if you're not familiar with FPS mechanics and I found myself dying most times.

After a few hours I had completed both story missions and played (to my demise) versus mode a number of times so here's the good and bad of it:

Good times - You have a wonderful new Universe to explore and enjoy. You get some funny script actions and characters. You get to play for free - on the beta (always a plus) and you can unlock new characters so you can replay the game with a new "flavor" each time.

How can you possible read or chose anything during fierce combat battles using this?!
Bad times - Way to much things you either don't use or don't even understand why they are in the game. The "Helix" feature is just nonsense during the fight cause you can't pause the game to read all the text for the next item you want to select. That and the "Loadouts" that need you to pick up shards to "unlock" them. Both these feature - Helix and Loadouts - should be upgradable automatically after you finish a mission and not personalized during the in-game action. Also the excessive number of statics and upgrades of each character make it almost impossible to upgrade all the characters with so little missions. Also each mission/match takes 30-40 minutes which is too much if you just wanna pick it up for 10-20 minutes at a time.

Here's the deal. If you could not have decisions during the missions, each character bring something new for each time you play and less clutter menus, this game could be a lot of fun. Just to compare it I had more fun playing Lego Avengers with my eight year old nephew (where each character you unlock gets you to explore new things during missions) than I had playing this with my brother as a co-op.

Ence... I was not sold on this game and I don't thing I'm going to pic it up anytime soon. Which is a shame cause this game had potencial to be a lot more.


A most confusing and repetitive three out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts