Game Review - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PS4]

A fan poster that truly captivates the mood of the entire game!
Hello guys,

Boy it's been ages since I did a game review but I got my hands on this one and decided it was time to get back at you folks with what's what about it. I must first say that I am an RPG fan but I've never played The Witcher before this. I heard some good things about this one so decided to have a go at it. So... here we go for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

Let's star with the good stuff!

This is a ginoumours game! I mean huge! More than huge, you can literally take weeks just to see every little corner, mountain, house, tavern, field that this game has on it. It's so huge that most time you'll just be questioning if you should explore it even more or get on with the story.

Cause it's so huge, you'll never fall short of things to do. Contracts by local folks that need monster killed. The occasional side mission. The curse to deal at the old tower. There's always something to do on the Wild Hunt and believe me you'll have your hands full most of the times.

Also the game of Gwent (a card mini game) will take you several hours to master and develop so you'll have no end of challenges there. To finish, this is one sweet looking game. If you can play it at 1080p (like I did) you'll be mind blown by the awesome graphics and wild life animations of this game. Believe me it's the most "alive" environment you have ever seen on a PS4.

Believe me this game is a lot bigger than this image is suppose to show!
Now for the bad news...

On the PS4 you'll have a hard time at first with the menus. Most times the map wont be much help in game cause on the map menu everything points to another direction (you have to "lock" your HUD map if you want it to make sense), not only that half the time I didn't even know where or how much gear I had on. It was a really time consuming (not to mention confusing) effort for every time I wanted to find set gear or item. Even shopping I still don't know where my items are located and how much items I own or not. Same with crafting... and alchemy!

The battle system. Now don't get me wrong, you'll have some pretty interesting battles, monsters and bosses on this game, it's just a shame that the battle system and overall effects while playing are all about the same from beginning to end game. Forget finding a fire/dark sword here or a special move/ability that will top everything you've seen on the game before. Here you have your gear and your abilities and that's it! I must admit that  maybe because I'm such a huge fan of DMC (Devil May Cry) I had to struggle a lot with this more "conservative" battle system.

And the worst for last. Failed Quests! Who ever invented this should be shot! In this game you'll have some quests that (by ignorance or simply misunderstanding) you can fail. Now the problem is not you failing them, the problem is in case you fail you can NEVER do them unless you star the game all over again! I mean that's not a problem for a 10-20 hours game but this is more like 100 hours before you finish. Are you really gonna go back to 100hrs game just a quest you failed first hour of the game. I don't think so!

I failed the horse race quest in this because of the stupid HUB map (that ofc I could not repeat) and didn't get all the cards on Gwent because I didn't even fully understand the mini-game when the first tournament appeared.

What a lovely cozy place! Let's go in an meet the neighbors shall we?
All in all I just wished they at least let people repeat the quests you failed or complete them after the end game. But, because this is a game full of option-consequence story-lines, you may find yourself with some quests lost simply because you said "yes" and the quest said was "no".

Of course I didn't repeat the game cause it already took more than 100 hours of my life at least and when the final boss was over I was just happy cause I got the ending I wanted (yes cause there are multiple endings also). Ciri is a witcher... yeaahhh!

All in all I strongly suggest you find a complete guide before you pick this up so you won't have any bad surprises while playing it like I did!

 

A four out of five wild hunt!


Comments

Popular Posts