DVD Review - Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The poster is not what this movie is known for...
Oh boy...

There's a reason why I'm only now review this film. I didn't see it at the theaters at launch, I didn't went after, I waited for it to come on home cinema and I was even able to stay clear of all the spoilers and reviews before even giving it a look. I did all this because I wanted a clear, fresh look at this movie without the hype of the release or the backlash it got after. I wanted to see it and judge it for myself...

But boy was I in for a kick in the balls!

I know what you're all saying about now "We've all heard it before, the movie sucks, Disney this and that, you're a fanboy that doesn't like change and so on and so on..." but people, I'm not even saying this is a bad Star Wars movie (that's a given to anyone who's followed this franchise for over thirty years) this is a bad movie period!

SPOILER ALERT - Like that's gonna make any difference at this time

First scene, open cargo doors in space. No backdraft (like later on the famous Mary Poppins Leya scene), they can actually breathe without space helmet or anything with the cargo doors open to space and the bombs drop. Think about it... They DROP... on zero gravity atmosphere! It was at this moment that I started to fear that this was going to be a really bad movie!

I'm not going to say everything that's wrong with the movie, story and plot wise, cause it's just a mess of back and fourth and "WTF" moments from beginning to end! Half the movie is one space ship after another with people coming and going, making plans for nothing since they can't go any faster and the enemy ship cannot catch them either. I cannot understand this in a sci-fi film!

To add insult to injury, as a Star Wars fan, this was a punch in the gut!

Luke's character is completely destroyed as he, after never giving up hope on the evil of his father, somehow was ready to kill his nephew while he was still tutoring him. Kylo is the most angry/powerful foe that NEVER WINS a fight and Rey is still the most powerful persona of every Disney female hero without knowing who, what or why she's like that!

This was not only a bad Star Wars movie (cause basically it's just an excuse to have space battles and light sabers on a screen) as it's a very poor sci-fi movie. The worse is that, for years people have done a lot of spin offs, fan stories, fan art that the community loved, still loves and would love to see in a film but instead they've made all the mistakes that no one asked or wanted! I mean Robot Chicken parodies respect more the canon than this movie, that's how much they (didn't) care for this movie.

But - having said all this - I still proudly have my Death Star T-Shirt, I still take my morning coffee in a Star Wars mug and my younger nephew still loves the movie! I'm as much disappointed as I'm sure that this will not stop here.


A two out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts