News - Cyberpunk 2077 [Gameplay Reveal]


Hello gaming fans,

As most of you already know the new gameplay for Cyberpunk 2077 is finally out and the interwebs have been going crazy with it. As a disclaimer, CD Project Red has said that this is still a work in progress so the final outcome in the game could be different. But, based on the premise that the final game will look somewhat like this, I thought it be interesting to share with you guys some of my thoughts on it.


First and foremost, I love the Cyberpunk visual look. The appeal of the over chromatic game palette as well as the character and environments designs are just astonishing. I will definitely get the art-book (even if nothing's announced yet).

I also like the fact that now we get to drive around the city. Sure there's no map yet (cause that would spoil some of the content for later) but still, just like in The Witcher 3 (by the same developer) you can move around with a difference of vehicles. At least, that's the premise.

However, I have to admit that's where my marvel for Cyberpunk 20177 ends...

For the most part of the trailer I felt I was looking at a re-skin of Deus EX (Eidos/SquareEnix 2011). Yes, most of what was show as core base game mechanics already existed in that game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it cuts a big chunk of what I thought would be a "ground breaking defining game"!

Cyber engineered upgrades and hacking are not something we've never seen before in a cyberpunk game is it?!

Don't get me wrong, the game might still be a great game (I obviously haven't played it so I have no idea) but the RPG story driven choices, the option for stealth or full on combat for objectives, the hacking for information, the scan of environments for clues, the mod for weapon upgrades or unlocks... all that has been done before.

I'm not saying this is a copy but while in Deus Ex the "hook" was probably the augments (cyber enhancement body upgrades) and the CQC (Close Quarters Combat) tactics, here it seems more based on street cred and maybe one special ability or another (yet to be explored).

Remember Me (Dontnod/Capcom 2013)  was also a great example of a great Cyberpunk universe but there the "hook" was on melee combat (that failed miserably) and on the hacking of memories for progression of the story and, of course, also different story lines.

Although a third person with a unique story mechanic, Remember Me Achilles' heel was his combat skill.

To me, Cyberpunk 2077 should had a different "hook". Certainly being able to play it third person would be something new (although I don't feel it to be mandatory) or maybe be a co-op game. Why not you and a friend engage together all the missions and help each other gain street cred for your gang or faction? Recruit other members specialized on weapons, or hacking, or driving and have them help you progress on the game. Even make them playable at some point? Now that would be something new and different from the first person hack shooter we've already seen before.

Anyway, I still have faith CD Project Red will make this an awesome game. As for me, I may still play it (cause I'm into cyberpunk) but I don't think this gameplay reveal has made it a "purchase upon release" must buy.

Feel free to share your thought on the comments. 

Comments

Popular Posts