DVD Review - Bumblebee

People that praise this movie for being closer to the "original" have no idea what Transformers movies are about!

I'm a Transformers fan! Yes, I said it and stated it multiple times. Yes, people complain about all the Michael Bay explosions and over the top CG and the "in your face" cinema but, to me, alien fighting robots in the middle of a crowded city, is exactly the kind of thing I go to movies for!

And then came Bumblebee (2018), acclaimed to be much more like the original and a much better movie than any transformer movie before... I disagree!

Starting at the top, the movie looks like a Madonna 80's video. Everything you see and look is made to look like what the 80's were like but that's not what the 80's were. That's what MTV sold as the 80's! Don't believe me, just look at Stranger Things (2016) or the original Back To The Future (1985), those look like the 80's. This looks like the 80's videoclips, so starting from there (and being a very visual guy) I immediately disliked the movie.

The main characters. Don't get me wrong, I like Hailee Steinfeld and I feel she was great in Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) but here she's just like this rebellious kid angry at her family for... All the love and support she get's from them?! And their fabulous big open house?! And a mother who loves her and a stepfather who supports her?! This made no sense to me whatsoever.

It would be one thing she was abused or miss interpreted for her actions but being angry just for angry sake made no sense. This combined with the most friend-zoned guy in the history of robot action movies just made me not care for her at all or her quest to make friends with a talking car.

Jon Cena plays Jon Cena beautifully so no surprises there either.

The movie is a bad excuse to go back to the original Transformers franchise. The reason why Bumblebee is the way he is, is acceptable but highly debatable and the movie doesn't carry enough punch, action, drama or story to stand out from all the others.

But hey, at least the robots look like the originals so I guess that's all that really mattered anyway... Not!


A two out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts