DVD Review - Maleficent

If you're like "This is the most classical, beautiful, magical movie ever"... well not quite!
Hey guys, long time no see...

Yeah, been a busy kinda month but I'm back to my normal review side as of today. And to start it all off I bring you a tale of beauty and magic... Maleficent!

I'm sure most of you have already heard that Angelina Jolie was awesome as the evil fairy witch queen in this movie and that the part suited her like a glove and you are most correct to assume that. However, as much as the film has the Disney seal of approval, I can't really say that there's that much to see in it.

I know that after the Johnny Deep / Captain Sparrow success you might think that this was at the same level of fun and entertainment but the truth is it's just not! Great special effects, yes. A new vision of an old classic, for sure. A better movie with an a amazing actress... maybe that's pushing it a bit.

It's a nice (and I'm stressing the nice here) fantasy magic movie but I believe it suffered from the same "diva complex" that Frozen got. It's an enjoyable movie but by no means a mark in the history of cinema like some people would try and sell it for.

Also, the cast of Sharlto Copley as an evil king didn't really appeal to me. Having him next to Angelina Jolie and trying to make him, first a love interest and then, an evil king is just silly and kind of pathetic really. They would of done better with a more sex-appeal kind of actor (like Johnny Deep maybe).

All in all, I believe the hype was way higher than the actual movie provided.


A "nice" three out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts