Movie Review - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Be very aware of your surroundings when watching this movie!
Oh God!

Yes I've seen this movie. And before I start my review I have to give a bit of my context on this.

First of all, I was a big fan of the TMNT. I (has most kids now in their 30's) saw and loved every single episode of the old original tv series from the 80's and 90's, so to me Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo where almost our own Avengers at the time. After the tv series died out we got very little turtle-power. Yes, there where comics done a few years back and even a new CG tv series by Nickelodeon (same as the movie) but it all felt a bit more flashy (and by flashy I really mean trashy) and with less fun and flavor than the old ones.

Having said that, and having full understanding that this movie had the Michael Bay "seal of quality", I saw the movie. Final score... Mewh! What I mean by this is "It was not as bad as I was scared it would be!"

Action wise the movie is really good. The animation is at the same level as any Transformers movie. Gag's are the same - emphasis on SAME - as we've seen and remember from the series. But the story? They just shredder the whole thing! From the origins, to how and why they became ninjas, from where the villains came and why they where there in the first place. It was just a mess!

But did I enjoy it? Well... I can't say I didn't. What I can say is this. We were expecting the TMNT to be as true to the original as Transformers and maybe, just maybe, as fun as Avengers. But if that's what u where expecting, you'll just come home felling like me. Disappointed!



An entertaining two out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts