Game Review - Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

The Prince of Darkness returns to finish his fight against Satan!
I don't play games nearly as much as I would like.

The reason being I just don't have the time anymore to sit for hours on end to play again and again and find every little thing that is to find and explore on a game. But for Konami's Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2, I knew I had to make an exception!

Castlevania (for me) is right there with the big franchises like Zelda, or Mario, Street Fighter and even Final Fantasy. A Dracula story told differently and with a more modern, cool action feel so I had to try it.

I'd already played the first on and I really liked it so coming up to the end of the saga I didn't know what to expect in terms of new stuff that they might add.

The story is not as straight forward as you might think. Dracula is a badass but not as bad as one would think since he does keep some human emotions to guide him. As for the game itself is what we would expect from the second biggest franchise from Konami after the Metal Gear series.

Great graphics, awesome sound, gameplay mechanics that are very well placed (although some difficulties with the free camera) but all in all it's all there. I really jus had one big issue with the game and that was the combat system.

I just couldn't make heads or tails of how it worked and how slow it was for me to progress in power and offensive combos (if i was even manage to fulfill them). That adding to the free camera not sticking to the enemies you were battling was quite an issue for me. I was always finding myself in the position where the minions where actually more a nuisance than the ending bosses.

The learning curse is a bit steep (remember I'm not a hard core gamer) but they do offer you a "New Game +" option once you are finished so I think it kinda makes up for the rest! All in all, I liked it and I'm thankful Konami did an amazing job at it.

Just too bad it got tramped over by the media buzz over the new Metal Gear for PS4, cause this game (and it's entire cast) deserved a lot more attention.



A four out of five!


Comments

Popular Posts