Beta Review - Destiny 2

It's a cool comeback to earth just to find our old pals the cabals wrecking the place
In January I did an article about what we would expect from the Bungie franchise and what could be a good path to lead them on. Although some issues were addressed - like finding a fireteam and weapon/vehicle customization - some were not and after I've played the Beta last week my take on the upcoming Destiny 2 is... It's kinda disappointing!

I know there's been a lot of talk about what the Beta is and what it should contain, that the game couldn't change too much cause it already has a fan-based but here's my point, there is absolutely nothing new to Destiny! When people say that there will be new this or that it's all ear say. So far, Bungie has not shown anything that we can say "Oh yeah we didn't have that on Destiny 1", that little feeling "Oh this is new!". I didn't get that seeing the trailers, I didn't get it on the Bungie event and I didn't get that playing the Beta.

The Beta consisted on the first story mission, a single Strike - three guardians take on a mission and kill a boss in the end for loot and two PvP events - one already known and one new. Both equally unbalanced since now there's only a four on four fireteam and just one guardian makes a lot more difference than on the previous six on six.

But my biggest regret is that this Destiny 2 just feels too much as a Destiny 1. Yes, we'll have weapon customization and mods but we don't know how that will work until the game is out! Yes, our ship will have new skins but just new colors don't mean anything unless they have a point (and the damn thing doesn't even rotate on the menu like almost every other game in existence).

We didn't get new aliens, new worlds, new mechanics, new classes or subclasses, new races, new events (sparrow racing com'on), we didn't even got new graphics or designs (just take a look at "old" Witcher 3 if you think I'm lying).

All in all, considering Warframe, considering the upcoming Anthem and considering the new upcoming rival games that are already in development, I think Bungie should've tried to be in front of the competition... not behind it!


Don't get me wrong. I love Destiny and it's community. I'm in a clan and we raid almost weekly, but some of us have mixed feelings about this new game and just feel we deserved a bit more!

A pretty downgrade two out of five. Let's hope the final game has some good surprises for us!

Comments

Popular Posts