DVD Review - Captain Marvel

Somehow I feel if she was Latina, the movie would be all better for it.

Ok here's the thing, I didn't went to see this movie on the theater (even if I'm a Marvel fan) cause I'd already had fallen once to the whole SJW marketing campaign that was put out for Black Panther (2018) and, although the movie is ok, it's just that... It's ok!

So now Marvel once again tried the SJW trip and this time woman and femininity was on the rage in all social media and advertising, and since we already had that for Wonder Woman (2017) and, again, the movie was just ok, I figured I wasn't going to loose much here... And I was right!

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the movie... But I didn't love it either!

The movie is an introduction to an almost unknown super hero from Marvel. And yes, she's a woman but that's beside the point. My problem with this movie (and I'm only talking about the movie here) is that the backstory to the hero is, in my view, extremely poor. If the intention was to present her as an underdog, that has to battle her way in a world beating her down, she rising to be a pilot and then a hero, it failed miserably.

What we see is a young girl doing stuff, crashing and getting up. That's it! The only person that talks down on her is an idiot pilot during the academy (which somehow she had a great time with a friend and mentor but a very hard time during recruit?!) and that's it. I don't even understand if it's the father relation at stake here cause he appears once to say what all fathers say when kid's crash.

I didn't feel the she needed to rise. I didn't get her weakness. I didn't get her drive or purpose. All I know is that she did everything great and was always best and better than everyone (kinda like Rey in Star Wars). This is a flawless hero and a flawless hero (in most cases) looks more like a villain!

But Marvel being Marvel makes it work as a movie. We discover her past and how she get's superpowers far and above any other super hero so far and she battles aliens and invaders, kicks ass and rides bikes. I guess the only middle ground we find here is in Fury's character but even there... there's (cat) issues.



My only two for a Marvel movie out of five!

Comments

Popular Posts