DVD Review - Hellboy (2019)

You'd think, after two great movies, they'd get it right... but no!

So, this one's was a hard case to judge.

On one hand I'm a big fan of the whole Hellboy franchise and Mike Mignola look and feel of the books. Also, I really liked the Guillermo Del Toro adaptations and I feel, to this day, they worked great as films and as fantasy movies on their own.

And then they made this... And I have to say, I cringed almost half the time sawing it!

But, let's start with the good side of the movie first. I liked the cast and actors in this film. I feel, if anything, they really tried to push their characters a bit more so they would empathize with the audience a bit better. The production value and FX are similar to any other blockbuster movie I've seen from a comic book so I feel some eye catching scenes really did their job. I also like the way they introduce new lore into the the franchise. One could expect this to be the first of a new series of Hellboy movies to some point and that's always a plus.

However, this is the worst Hellboy movie ever made and the reason is simple. Too many characters and lines to follow, not enough backstory on any of them (Merlin and the Queen sister are there for?!) and the absolute worst story ever made into film from the Hellboy franchise.

They reworked the origin, introduced a new villain, other villain makes an appearance but her role is minimal and questionable to the entire plot. The sidekick (both of them) have no interest or relevance to the main story and the level of gore and blood was (in my opinion) way too much for any audience to muster in a "comic hero" movie. Just a mix-mash of anything and everything thrown into two hours of action and gore one would say.

Some people said this was like The Evil Dead (1981) in terms of comparison for gag's and gore but I wasn't really feeling any of that. All I saw was an awesome demon child prince hero in a middle of a very poor, badly written, mostly forgettable story.



A sad tale and a two out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts