DVD Review - Shazam

The greatest surprise I've seen in comic hero movies since Aquaman

When I first saw the Shazam trailer I figured "Yeah, looks nice but not sure it's gonna blow my socks off." But, fortunately, I was very wrong. This is a great little surprise in the comic hero genre that's been with us for more than ten years now. That in itself is nothing less than amazing!

First of all the movie is a bit more darker than you'd think. It has a human drama behind it, a story that in itself has almost absolutely nothing to do with the superhero. Second, the comedy and drama of the movie is super well balanced. You are never laughing too loud that you don't feel the drama and never too sad that you can't smile when the gag is there.

The movie also has a great villain and, as you know, "The better the villain the better the hero" at least here it certainly is.  The lore is something I wasn't expecting (basically cause I've never really dwelled too deep on it) but it worked fine for me in the end.

You'd even think that Zachary Levi in that "muscle suit" would look clunky or silly but somehow he's all the much better for it. The entire movie is a great experience with a great story and a great hero. 

DC doing it great - yet again - after Aquaman (2018).


An absolute "shazamed" three out of five.

Comments

Popular Posts