DVD Review - Argo

The CIA asks the help of Hollywood to get US people out of Iran during the Cold War. Sounds like a great movie... It is!

Hya folks,

Just like I promised after the Oscars night last week, I had a chance to view the Award Winning Film Argo recently and give you my take on it. So, here it goes...

I like it! And when I say I like it I don't mean "OMG!! THIS IS SUCH A GREAT FILM! IT CHANGED MY LIFE COMPLETELY" like it, I mean more a "It's a good movie and I can see why it won an Oscar" kinda like it.

So, to start off Ben Affleck is half decent in the movie. If you'd already seen "The Town" you'd realize that Ben has been a more serious character here to start with and here - playing a top CIA agent that it's trying to save US nationals form the Canada Embassy in Iran during Cold War - he's even more serious and dramatic as an actor.

The movie itself is somewhat of a Hollywood parody also. The producers, the people, the funding of movies it's all laid down on film has a "not so serious business" and then we have the whole "cold war middle east" theme in the movie, like a message that the US did something bad and it was paying for it's bad foreign policy with some countries, namely Iran.

You mix these elements with a "Steven Spielberg Munich" mood and you got Argo. A good, solid (a bit funny) and serious political movie. Ben Affleck came a long way since Daredevil and some of the worse reviews ever made on an actor or movie. This? This could win him a bit more respect and who knows... better and bigger projects still.


A solid 4 out of 5.


Comments

Popular Posts