Movie Review - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Just as this poster is a copy of Drew Struzan ... So is the movie of the rest of the franchise!
Ok guys! Here it is, my first movie review of the year and I had to start with... Star Wars!

A lot has been said and written about this movie, not all good mind you, and the movie has left fans somewhat divided between awesome and... well - lets say- not so awesome!

But let's start from the beginning!

When I first heard that they were making a new Star Wars movie I was excited for once cause these movies were the reason I began to love cinema but also a bit apprehensive cause the last Star Wars movies (I, II and III) didn't get all the fans love. I already knew that J. J. Abrams was directing and I liked his whole reboot on Star Trek so I was hoping for at least the same visual quality this time.

Now... Seeing the trailer(s) I started to get too much of that "déjà vu" feeling. U know, tie fighters, snow battle, guy in dark mask, millennium falcon, harrison ford with Chewie and ofc a lot of teenage cast with a girl at the center and I started to think "Don't tell me Disney is going Disney again?!". And, for my great demise it... they did!

I mean, seeing this movie was like seeing everything I'd already seen on the other movies all together, a showoff of "copy-paste" not only visually but story wise also. All I keep saying was "OMG!! They couldn't have made a mix-mash of everything we've already seen before right?!" but yep!

This was such a bad experience that even only seeing it at late January (the movie came out December ofc), knowing all the character and major plots and already knowing what was coming and having the lowest expectations possible... I was still disappointed!

Plot holes here, there and everywhere, a hero that learns absolutely nothing in the movie (cause she already knows everything anyway), a villain that behaves more like a spoiled child and isn't really that powerful to begin with, and don't get me started on the whole Gwendoline Cristie storm captain thing... these are just some of the things I still can't get my mind around after seeing the movie.

I think Disney forgot one very important thing when they remade Star Wars. Every trilogy (or movie) of this franchise, being good or bad, was unique! We had something different or cool to find on each and every movie. This?! This has nothing! I repeat. There is nothing you'll see in this movie, visually or conceptually that you haven't seen on other Star Wars movies before.

To make and marked such a movie after Avengers, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or even Mass Effect, or Halo, or Destiny (just to mention some late good Sci-Fi examples) is not only bad, it's ludicrous!

Just to end this review, I would like to send a message to everyone who reads this and finds I may have been a bit to harsh on this movie: We can't let Disney or Hollywood get away with this kind of selloff! We can't let them just put a name on one of the greatest franchises of all time and re-sell it with a VII on the "cover". We need then to work for their money! Wee need then to innovate, create, populate and invent a movie that is unique and worthy of being a blockbuster! Otherwise don't be surprised if you end up with the next Twilight on Star Wars!


I only give it a three as a movie but a one as a fan!

Comments

Popular Posts