DVD Review - The Last Airbender

From Animation it came... but frankly it should never left there!
Hello again guys!

I've been curious about this movie for quite some time now and in spite most of my friends telling me it was really bad I had some spare time and decided to have a go at it myself. The only think I can say about it is... shame on you Mr. Shyamalan!

Ok, now that we got that cleared out, I'm gonna say what I liked and didn't like about the movie (yes... I did like some of it) so future generations will profit from my own experience, words of wisdom and (maybe) don't make the same mistake again... Ever!

The good stuff...

The movie (in case your not from earth) is set on a magical land that is divided into four realms: Earth, Wind, Air and Fire. On these realms there are "benders" which are people who can manipulate such designated elements. These regions have been at peace for many years but since the disappearance of the Avatar (a little child like buddha said to be hable to "bend" all four elements) have been power struggles, with the Fire Nation conquering all others.

As the premise of the movie will allow it, you will see some of the most awesome landscapes and fantasy concept art that movies have to offer. Not only that but the "bending" techniques (similar to ancient martial arts) are done with state of the art CG so, all good there.

The bad stuff...

The casting is terrible consisting on a bunch of teenagers that are not enough experienced either in martial artists or acting. M. Night Shyamalan even does the mistake of making very long takes with these inexperienced kids who are clearly to tired and stressed out to make a lasting consistent five minute performance.

Even the vilains look more like "second line" indian bartenders then actual, believable evil villains - I personally had a really hard time disconnecting to Aasif Mandvi, who I was always expecting to say "back to you John (Stewart)" at any moment. And the story is just one back and forth of plots with the cast not having a single purpose or goal form beginning to end. To make matters even worse they "sold" this movie has a part of a trilogy (trying to make the Harry Potter or LOR cut) and that my friends blow up on their face... big time!

So... bottom line?

If your into concept design or CG effects, see it. You might get inspired and have a notion or two on how to make a good fantasy movie, but if you like movies and value your time... forget this one and just see anything from Pixar or Dreamworks.

I guarantee it's in your best interest!


A poor poor 1 out of 5!

Comments

Popular Posts