News - PS4

The wait is almost over... This Christmas Sony will have the chance to rise above all. Or not!

Hey guys,

Just had to share my thoughts after the Live event where Sony announced the new Playstation 4 to the world. I mean they didn't exactly show it but they had a controller and a whole new bunch of ideas and trailers to talk about so... I'm guessing it's about the same!

First, I was expecting to actually see the new console. I mean it's great to talk about something cool that's gonna do a bunch of stuff but if you don't actually show anything it's kinda of a disappointment. But they did show a new controller that (in my opinion) isn't that great looking and we still need to figure out how the heck is that "touch pad" gonna work, since we're gonna have both hands on the damn thing anyway. But moving on...

Although I'm very exited about the new line up of developers with Bungie's Destiny (the creators of the original Halo series) and Blizzard's Diablo game big announcement, I'm not sure their strategy is gonna come out as they're planning. To me the whole thing sounded too much like the App Store and Game Center features that are already in use by Apple and I think Sony is just trying to mash that with Next Gen gaming consoles. It coud very much backfire!

For once the prices have to go down. Paying the same for a game in a CD that has to deal with shipment, handeling and production as much as online (that has no costs except server) is a ripoff to the gamers. In Apple the prices are very very low compared to PS3 games at a store. Even the internet traffic doesn't affect them that much cause games don't go over 1GB on a App, but in Sony case, with games of more than 80 GB (or even more), online play and all that... they might be trying "to bite more than they can chew". And it's not like Playstation hasn't had network issues in the past, right?!

They wanna do cross platforming, all devices (PC, tablets and PS4), on a cloud with no limits... sounds great!!! But is it?

Apple has done it successfully with "small" games, trowing the games market on his head, now Sony and Microsoft are running after it. To me, they are two very distinctive things: One is for the "pass time casual" player that takes his phone out of the pocket and puts it back in, and the other is the "living room hardcore all nighter" player. Can they both coexist in one single model or platform?


In my humble opinion they already tried something similar with the PSVita and it didn't work. If people need a PC to play Playstation 4 games, they might not like the idea and just give up on Sony all together. As for me, I'm gonna wait it out and them make a decision a year or so after the release... like I always do!


:)

Comments

Popular Posts