DVD Review - The Imitation Game

Don't let all the major media fool you. You're only seeing Benedict Cumberbatch having a shot at the Oscars!
Hello all you happy folks,

I'm back for another cinema review and I was really hoping to see this one since I'm a big Smaug fan. It was time for Benedict Cumberbatch Oscar nomination performance. But before I tell you about my opinion on this movie there's a few points I have to tell you.

Fist of all there are three major guide lines to my reviews: One. The expectations I have for a movie, meaning, based on what I've seen on a trailer or read about it if I believe this movie is going be good or not. When I have low expectations and it's bad movie I usually don't feel disappointed cause I wasn't expecting more right?
Two. If it's entertaining, and by that I mean does it take me to a new location, a place or maybe even a new story that I find are to my taste or deliver something new that I've never seen or heard before on a film.
And three. Is it fun? Yes but i don't mean "Ahah! It's so funny!" kinda fun. A comedy might not be fun at all and a serious movie can be lots of "fun" simply cause the story has a lots of twists and turns and makes it fun.

Now, having said this I know lots of people thing this movie is really really good but to me it's just good! Yes, not awesome, not Oscar worthy, just another plain old war movie (with a great leading actor) and here's why.

I actually know the Enigma Code story and I was hoping a lot more of the cracking of this very important code would made it into the film. Not only that, the actual atmosphere doesn't really feel like a war. No combat shots, no action, just one (focus on one - very short) bombing of London in the entire movie, which doesn't help to the setting of the film very much. The story focus entirely on the story of a Alan Tuning and his "secret" and gives the breaking of the code a very low feature.

All we know in this film is that he makes this machine and it uses it to break the code. How it works, how did his mathematical genius conceived it. What was at stake and why was it so imperative for allies is almost second nature in the film. And I found that sad cause I was expecting (see there it is) a lot more from it.

However, Cumberbatch performance is a very good one. Yes very good but not outstanding, sorry! If you've seen him in Sherlock Holmes and during the The Hobbit performance capture for Smaug, you already know what he's capable of and here he delivers the same awesome British performance he always does. And if you think his performance was Oscar worthy I must ask you to take a look at Michael Keaton in "Birdman" and then decide who really deserved the golden statue!


For the lack of "war action" I think it deserved I'm giving it a 3 out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts