Movie Review - The Homesman

Probably the only good thing this film has... the french version of the movie poster!
Remember when I said a bad casting can cost a good movie?! Well, a great cast can't save it either! Case in point "The Homesman"!

This is a very dark movie with a very - how should I put it - pointless story? I don't really know. What I do know is that this was a big disappointment for me. When I first saw the trailer and knew who the actors and atmosphere was I was really intrigued by it but once I saw it... Terrible is too much of an aggressive word so I'll just say it was bad!

First of all the movie is to morbid. From child mortality to rape it's all too crudely done and shown and for a movie that talks about such strong issues it should maybe had a solid story to carry it but they also failed in that.

Turnarounds on the scripts that don't make sense. Scenes that go nowhere. No pacing or logic on some situations and, when it's over, we are left with the felling that if we didn't see it we'd be better off.

Good points? The cruel nature of how life for women living in the wild west really was and how much they had to overcome to become socially equal nowadays is a plus. That and the tons of great actors that appear in the movie makes it a good clash of characters on camera. But I point out that the scenes themselves aren't that memorable either.

If you've read the novel and are a big fan of slow, long, unappealing, cruel, westerns, you might enjoy this. If not just save your money and your time. You can thank me later.


A very bad 1 (and that's cause I like Tommy) out of five!

Comments

Popular Posts