DVD Review - The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness

One year of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. Vision, films and... retirement.
Hello everyone,

From a very early stage in my life I was drawing. I draw on my school books, pieces of paper, lose napkins... everywhere basically! So obviously cartoons where a big part of my early life, stretching till today. And of course in the mist of my influences and inspirations the name of Hayao Miyazaki had to appear.

I knew about his work even before I knew it was his. "Conan - The Boy from the Future" or "Anne of the Green Gables" where two of my main series growing up and also one of my first encounters with anime (before the otaku craze that came after that).

Miyazaki's work is one of the most lovely, inspiring and colorful memories I have of my childhood so this documentary is and was a most for me.

In this more than two hours film he discuss his trouble on making a film, his second world war childhood memories and how it marked him, his relationship with his dad and co-workers and most of all his disappointment with some aspects of current anime flow where all is superficial and nothing has deep or meaning anymore.

His studio life, his relationships, his vision... everything shown in a very non non-intrusive way that (if you're a film fan) will leave you wanting to make animation just for it's own beauty.


A must see five out of five!

Comments

Popular Posts