News - Anthem [EA Play 2018]


Anthem,

I must admit I was very much looking forward to the reveal of this game. After the Destiny 2 (Bungie) failed launch last year, Anthem (BioWare) looked like the a real alternative to the MMO shooting genre. So after the reveal what are my thoughts?


I must say I was a bit underwhelmed by it!

I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game or anything (after all, we haven't played it) but there were some things that made me step back from the overall hype I had last year.

ExoSuit shooting battle action (Warframe) and luxuriant green environments (Monster Hunter World) for comparison.
Problem is too much of what we see on Anthem, we've already seen on other games. The "Javelins" remind me too much of Warframe(s) (Digital Extremes) as one piece ExoSuits of armor that we can customize. The story feels like a revision of Destiny, since we also have a walled city with enemies all around. And - finally - the enemies or creatures look like stand in's for Monster Hunter World (Capcom).

Again, it's a good combination but... If you're already playing those games why would you switch to Anthem?! What's the hook?! What does this game offer that no other game has that we absolutely have to play to experience?!

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Vanquish. Two great examples of what the direction of combat could be in Anthem.
Remember Panzer Dragoon (Sega)?! Of course you don't! But Panzer Dragoon was a good example of fight in flight of a game. I would like maybe some of it to extend to Anthem. Maybe a flying creature you need to extend your trusters cooldown to kill or something. Not to mention the combat  for now looks only ok! When we look at Destiny or The Division (Ubisoft) we can plainly see they're not anything alike in combat mechanic, Anthem also needs to find it's on way. If I'd seen some fast paced action like Vanquish (Platinum Games) I would probably be more excited!


I guess I'll have to wait to know more on further Javelins (yes, there will be more) or the "end game" to make a final decision on this new franchise. As is at this point, it's a pass!

Anthem comes out February 22, 2019.

Comments

Popular Posts