DVD Review - Pacific Rim Uprising

So you thought that you were going to see a giant robot war movie... Well, guess again!
Hello everyone,

Back to some good old pop-culture themes, this time with my latest home cinema review. I skipped this movie on theaters and I don't regret it now that I've actually seen it. I felt the cast and overall feel of the original was kinda lost and not even the trailer had me believe that this Pacific Rim Uprising would bring anything new or amazing to the franchise. And, unfortunately, I was right!

This is basically how to kill the franchise or any hopes of another "Mechas vs Monster" movie in the foreseeable future. Here's why:

Number one, bad characters! Any and everyone of the original Pacific Rim (2013) gets a "kick in the nuts" in this movie. Change of persona, time on screen, importance to the overall plot or pivot moments by any of them, are all is completely trashed and (to the exception of one) have no  real relevance to the story whatsoever. To had insult to injury, the new characters are complete and utter rubbish. Not only are they kids, turning Pacific Rim from a military sci-fi story to a childish Power Ranger fantasy, most of them are just too arrogant or full of themselves to even conceive what's going on around them in the movie or the stakes left from the previous one.

Number two, crappy story! If you loved the original Kaiju Guillermo fantasy genre of the first movie, you're in for some disappointment here. This is more like a bad "anime kids on robots" plot if anything and it seems like the writers were never sure of the direction (if any) to the story. The main character is supposed to be a rebel or a sherpa? Are we to follow the kids (hope not) or the villains? Is this about the robots or about teamwork and saving the planet? I still have no idea at this point.

Number three, bad cinema! When I go and see huge robots fight, I expect to know a little bit about them and why are these pilots (and not others) piloting them. In the first movie that was basically the main plot. In this one it's just inconsistent and (I have to say) stupid! There's basically one major fight scene that's relevant to the story while the rest are just eye catching toy selling marketing bate.

Overall, if Guillermo was dead he be turning in his grave. Has he's still alive, I'm just glad he only produced this.


A shameful one (cause I can't go any lower) out of five.
★☆☆☆☆

Comments

Popular Posts